Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:27:59 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 13:12:36 Per Jessen wrote:

How can one provide Internet to a building over one coax (even if it
exist?)

A coaxial cable has a _lot_ of bandwidth.

Then they would rather use coax for Ethernet than Cat-5 UTP. :-)

Both. Either a building or a neighbourhood. Retrofitting cable into
a multi-unit building is a big, expensive job.

I think it is very very cheap.

I can assure you it is not. My mum lives on the 4th floor in an
apartment building - last year, they had ethernet wired into every
apartment (2 per floor, seven floors, eight such units per building,
probably 10 buildings. New cable ducts, lots of holes to be drilled
(through 15-20cm concrete), 80 local switches, power supply, racks with
locks. I think it took two or three months. I don't know the exact
cost, but the word cheap does not come into it.

The other provider (not mine) wired my building (12 floors) in only one day.