Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:24:24 +0400
On 2010-09-12 18:55, Per Jessen wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations? I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in
the infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some
reason.

I guess that their phone network is older.

That's hardly the only reason for such a move.

But it is undoubtedly a very significant argument. If the existing
wiring is good enough to provide X, why spend more money to provide X ?

Are you asking about now or some time ago? Some time ago nobody would
use just Internet without a LAN because Internet was very expensive.

Now they are closer, but Ethernet is somewhat cheaper. And also there is
only one telephone company with their ADSL over telephone and multiple
Ethernet providers.

DSL is a hack that deserves to die, the sooner the better, just like
the analog modems.