Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:20:42 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Monday 13 September 2010 10:57:40 Per Jessen wrote:

ADSL is better suited to the typical user profile which has more
downstream than upstream traffic.
Most residential places are not wired for ethernet, but have a
telephone, so ADSL would not require any extra investment.

At least they have to install a modem, telephone filters or
a separate telephone line (?).

Yes, you need a modem and a splitter, they can be had for about EUR120.
Then you plug them in, and that's it. (more expensive modem are
available with Wifi, VoIP and what have you).

I asked about ADSL in the early 2000s and they said only connection
cost would be comparable with that of getting a new separate telephone
number (about $300-$500).

We got ADSL at home around 2003 I think. Prior to that, Swisscom told
it wasn't possible due to the distance to the exchange, but I guess the
technology improved. I think the price was about CHF50/month (it still
is for the entry-level connection).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.9°C)