Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:18:20 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 11:04:57 Per Jessen wrote:

Where you are. In ~2001 in many places there was reasonable Internet,
including the early versions of ADSL.

Which could not compete with Ethernet even at 10 Mbit/s.

Not to say that as I already sad, Internet was not the main service
which people used in their LANs. Some people used Internet and some
never did.

It's an amazing story. Local ethernet cabling, but no content and no
services

Of course with content and services. As I already said, there are
PtP networks where you can find anything (films, music, new software etc),
game servers, chats, forums, radio and TV broadcasts, FTP resources, torrent
retracker from Internet (so you can download torrents at LAN speed), even
mirrors of repositories of popular Linux distros (unfortunately, not
OpenSUSE though) etc etc.

For example, film libraries of my network: http://video.multilocal.ru/,
http://video.userlan.ru/films.php just click and download.
Games download server: http://games.multilocal.ru/

Game servers: http://www.steamworld.ru/index.php

There re many other resources which are not accessible
from Internet.

so really only for nerds in different buildings. I mean, my
mum would not have had much use for a local LAN.

Girls very often just sit in the DC++ chat.