Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:34:23 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 04:38:24 Carlos E. R. wrote:

That is probably the situation in western Europe (except that Spain is/was
less developed than most of W.Europe). ADSL was faster and cheaper to
install. And what I said is that my guess is that perhaps in Russia that
was not the case perhaps because the network wasn't fully digitalized. It
is an hypothesis, I do not know.

I don't think it matter. ADSL providers are there and always were. The only
problem is that with ADSL you get only Internet, but with Ethernet you get
also the LAN. Formerly it was very important as Internet was very expensive,
but now it is not so.

In Russia very little people live in separate houses, most live in blocks so
it is easier to connect them to Ethernet. In dachas (summer country houses)
there is no telephone usually that's why people usually use wireless (GPRS)
to connect Internet.

The prevalence of Ethernet is not only Russian specific, it is characteristic
of all former-USSR countries, including Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova etc.

I never said nor implied that ADSL is better.