Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:33:09 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2010-09-13 04:20, James Knott wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
What's the problem with stretching such cables? Currently at least 3
providers
have their separate ethernet networks in my building.

Cost. In an existing building you have to run cables in conduits
that barely have room for phone cables or run new conduits on the
outside of
the buildings. Laying new cables around town is also expensive.

It depends on what permissions you have. No space inside? Put it up
the front outside wall, all the way up. One drop per level, just to
the living room window. You just need a chap hanging down in ropes
from the top, making holes in the wall, and another one helping. Two
people. You just need permission from the owners.

No kidding, that's how they do it here (Spain).

I had the feeling someone was going to point that out :-)

The street is way more expensive, you have to put pipes under the
pavement, and cover it with concrete. Get permission from the
authorities, put the street out of service for a week or a month.
Costs in the hundred thousands euros per kilometer.

Yep.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.8°C)