Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:29:35 +0200
On Monday 13 September 2010 09:21:44 Per Jessen wrote:
Anders Johansson wrote:
söndagen den 12 september 2010 20.46.17 skrev Per Jessen:
I'm really surprised that it was worth rewiring entire apartment
buildings with Cat5 cable, when VoIP didn't exist. I mean, in the
mid-90s the internet had barely been invented, people were happy
dialling into Compuserve at 56K (or 64K in ISDN countries). It's
totally surreal to hear you explain about 10Mbps speeds to an
internet that barely existed (to Joe Bloggs).

I got that in my flat in Malmö, Sweden in 2000. All HSB flats were
connected using 100Mbps ethernet, plug in the wall to an ethernet
card, dhcp, done, surf. The houses were at that time connected using
gigabit routers, I don't know what it's like today, since I moved away
from there some time ago (and boy do I miss that connection :)

I guess those were new buildings?

My flat was built in the 30s, I believe. Very much not new.

Anyway, as I said it was all HSB flats, and they are the largest condo company
in Sweden. It was called "HSB bolina" and was a very ambitious project. Some
friends of mine worked for one of the contractors who laid down the cabling,
they were very busy at the time :)

Anders