Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:21:44 +0200
Anders Johansson wrote:

söndagen den 12 september 2010 20.46.17 skrev Per Jessen:
I'm really surprised that it was worth rewiring entire apartment
buildings with Cat5 cable, when VoIP didn't exist. I mean, in the
mid-90s the internet had barely been invented, people were happy
dialling into Compuserve at 56K (or 64K in ISDN countries). It's
totally surreal to hear you explain about 10Mbps speeds to an
internet that barely existed (to Joe Bloggs).

I got that in my flat in Malmö, Sweden in 2000. All HSB flats were
connected using 100Mbps ethernet, plug in the wall to an ethernet
card, dhcp, done, surf. The houses were at that time connected using
gigabit routers, I don't know what it's like today, since I moved away
from there some time ago (and boy do I miss that connection :)

I guess those were new buildings? That doesn't surprise me, it's the
rewiring of existing buildings as well as the highspeed fibre
connections.

Today I can get 100Mbps with vdsl2, but only if I live in the right
areas. I guess that will become standard too some day. 50Mbps I can
get in many places, and t-online has been broadcasting digital TV over
the net with 25Mbps for some time now

Fibre is the latest thing in Switzerland - even my little Gemeinde (5500
people) are planning to provide fibre to each household over the next
two years. A 5mill franc investment.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.8°C)