Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:17:17 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

You know, any network card 9and motherboard) now supports gigabit
Ethernet. Thus some providers, for example, in St.Petersburg as I
already mentioned provide Gigabit Ethernet to end users via a copper
cable.

But ethernet only reaches 100m - how do the providers connect to the
switch? Must be fibre, presumably dug in.

I'm really surprised that it was worth rewiring entire apartment
buildings with Cat5 cable, when VoIP didn't exist. I mean, in the
mid-90s the internet had barely been invented, people were happy
dialling into Compuserve at 56K (or 64K in ISDN countries). It's
totally surreal to hear you explain about 10Mbps speeds to an
internet that barely existed (to Joe Bloggs).

People just stretched cables from window to window to get the LAN
working. Internet in those time was only a supplement to the LAN, it
was expensive, although technically it was already possible to have a
10 Mbit/s connection.

But you said that it then developed such that every house/apartment now
has 10Mpbs ethernet. Of course, you're also saying that the internet
is not available at that speed, so we're not really talking about ETTH,
more EITH (ethernet in the home)?

Even 3 years ago in 2007 the normal speed for an internet connection
was 128 Kbit/s on speed-limited tariffs (this is not the technical
speed limitation, which always was 100 Mbit/s but an artificial
limitation on unlimited-traffic tariffs, on pay-for-traffic tariffs
you could have 100 Mbit/s but would pay more money for traffic).

Even with a very high contention ratio, providing 100Mbit/s to more than
a few apartments in a residential area is very, very pricey. I'm
amazed that your providers are able to do that and make it affordable.
In Zurich (the city itself), you can have a 100Mbit connection, but at
CHF2000/month. xDSL is far cheaper.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.5°C)