Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:57:40 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Monday 13 September 2010 00:58:01 Carlos E. R. wrote:

This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations? I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in
the infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some
reason.

I guess that their phone network is older.

Can you please tell me why do you think ADSL is better than Ethernet?
Why one should choose ADSL?

ADSL requires only two wires, Ethernet at least 4, usually in shielded
cables with 4 twisted pairs.
ADSL deteriorates slowly over distance, but up to at least 3500m is
fine. Ethernet is limited to about 100m.
ADSL is better suited to the typical user profile which has more
downstream than upstream traffic.
Most residential places are not wired for ethernet, but have a
telephone, so ADSL would not require any extra investment.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.2°C)