Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 02:38:24 +0200
On 2010-09-12 23:52, Ilya Chernykh wrote:
On Monday 13 September 2010 00:58:01 Carlos E. R. wrote:

This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations? I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in the
infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some reason.

I guess that their phone network is older.

Can you please tell me why do you think ADSL is better than Ethernet? Why one
should choose ADSL?

Where did I say that??? :-o

- ADSL requires installing of much of additional equipment on the abonent side
- It requires modification of telephone stations
- It has lower data rates
- It it asymmetric
- It has greather latency
- There is no LAN for ADSL users so they have to pay for Internet in order to
connect to each other.

It is cheaper and faster to install, because the cable (copper pair) is already
there. The equipment
is placed in the exchange, with lots of space, no need to go to the street and
request permissions.
It is a method to reuse what is already installed, with profit.

Look. In my country (Spain), there was a moment when the government favoured
the installation of new
telephone companies, phone and cable, starting on the 1st of January of 1998. I
remember, I was
there, a diminute participant. To facilitate competitivity, the state forced
the dominant Telephone
company (previous monopoly) to refrain from offering advanced services, like
fast adsl, or TV over
the copper pair, or fiber to the home, so that the cable companies had time to
start up. This
restriction has finished, I understand.

Well.

In my home (not a flat), I have the cable box on the corner of the block, not
more than 25 meters
from my front door. Never the less, the cable company, when I wanted to hire
service from them (TV,
Internet, and phone) refused to give service because I was "too far" to lay the
cable (year 1999).
To this day, I have no option to use cable, a mere 25 meter lay. Several
neighbours on the block
were told the same, and one I know fought the decision - unsuccessfully.

Apparently, as the corner house is a baby school, they need some kind of
special permission or
insurance. I know the school gave permission. Nevertheless, the cable company
said "no".

Even with the advantage given by the authorities to the cable companies, they
do not give service
unless you live on a high rise building, with high rentability.

So... Is cable better? Undoubtedly, for the user.

But I have no option: Copper pair phone and ADSL, plus satellite dish for
digital TV (now we have
terrestrial digital TV, free of charge, 20 or 40 channels, so satellite is less
of a temptation).

The copper pair was already in the house, I asked for adsl, got it immediately.

That is probably the situation in western Europe (except that Spain is/was less
developed than most
of W.Europe). ADSL was faster and cheaper to install. And what I said is that
my guess is that
perhaps in Russia that was not the case perhaps because the network wasn't
fully digitalized. It is
an hypothesis, I do not know.

I never said nor implied that ADSL is better.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))