Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 02:38:58 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 02:13:29 Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

I don't know about "costly" (that is a relative term).  At scale ADSL
networks [obviously] have proven to be cost-effective.

For whom? Currently ADSL companies advertise Internet access in my area
slightly more expensive than Ethenet providers for the same download speed
(and much slower upload speed). Also it is known ADSL speed often much slower
than declared unlike Ethernet. If I have (on Ethernet provider) speed slower
than in my contract I can call the support and they have to repair the line.

This is true for any plan other than "not limited" which speed is limited only
by Ethernet bandwidth and in practice is about 80-95% of 100 Mbit/s
theoretical limit.

But imagine the situation of say 7-8 years ago. Internet was very expensive
then. There is a local network provider which allows you to play online
games, exchange files, use chat and other services for free. You can
befriend a girl in a chat and meet her the same evening because she lives in
a neighboring building, you can play games with your schoolmates, once a week
there is a meeting of the local LAN called "pointovka" (possibly from FIDO
terminology). You need recent Windows? Just download it. You need "The
Matrix"? Just download it. For free. At 100 Mbit/s. You can also connect
Internet is you need of course...

Now compare it with an ADSL provider. If you need something, you have to
connect to Internet and both pay high price and wait for ages for any
download. Internet was very expensive...

Even if ADSL provided more cost efficient connection to Internet (counting
$/MByte or $/(Mbit/s)) than Ethernet (this was not the case but imagine), you
would have to connect to Internet more frequently and download much more
content than with a LAN-based provider, and consequently, pay much more.