Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 01:52:51 +0400
On Monday 13 September 2010 00:58:01 Carlos E. R. wrote:

This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations? I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in the
infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some reason.

I guess that their phone network is older.

Can you please tell me why do you think ADSL is better than Ethernet? Why one
should choose ADSL?

- ADSL requires installing of much of additional equipment on the abonent side
- It requires modification of telephone stations
- It has lower data rates
- It it asymmetric
- It has greather latency
- There is no LAN for ADSL users so they have to pay for Internet in order to
connect to each other.

The last reason was I think the man cause why ADSL was not adopted here.
When Internet was too expensive, people used cost-free LANs to play games,
exchange files etc and connected to Internet only rarely so their bills were
moderate. Early Internet providers also attracted people with wide LANs with
much of shared resources, chats, forums, PtP services, Counter-Strike and
Quake servers, film libraries, so any ADSL providers were in disadvantage as
they could provide only (costly) Internet access.