Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 23:18:43 +0400
On Sunday 12 September 2010 22:46:17 Per Jessen wrote:
Ilya Chernykh wrote:
What is definite is that the cable which connects my building has
capacity 1 Gbit/s, optical or not. The higher-level cable is almost
certainly optic because it should have higher capacity.

Your building is almost certainly also connected with fibre, 1GigE
copper ethernet only goes so far.

Gigabit Ethernet allows copper connections:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_ethernet

You know, any network card 9and motherboard) now supports gigabit Ethernet.
Thus some providers, for example, in St.Petersburg as I already mentioned
provide Gigabit Ethernet to end users via a copper cable.

Some people even can convince a normal provider like mine to connect
them via a gigabit end-user link because any hub as I mentioned has one unused
gigabit port. Some indeed did so via good personal connections, but for
gigabit ethernet to become a mainstream the provider has to upgrade their
equipment so each hub had multiple gigabit ports and a thicker uplink.

No upgrade on the end-user side is needed and no support for optics on the
motherboard.

I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in the
infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some reason.

There are providers who advertise xDSL, for example, a telephone
company, but they are competitive only in buildings which are not
connected to the Ethernet (the number of them decreases with the
majority now have multiple Ethernet providers). Ethernet is a standard
here at least from mid-90s, the only major change for a end-user being
change of the end-user connection capacity from 10 Mbit/s to 100
Mbit/s which was mostly completed by the end of 1990s.

I'm really surprised that it was worth rewiring entire apartment
buildings with Cat5 cable, when VoIP didn't exist. I mean, in the
mid-90s the internet had barely been invented, people were happy
dialling into Compuserve at 56K (or 64K in ISDN countries). It's
totally surreal to hear you explain about 10Mbps speeds to an internet
that barely existed (to Joe Bloggs).

People just stretched cables from window to window to get the LAN working.
Internet in those time was only a supplement to the LAN, it was expensive,
although technically it was already possible to have a 10 Mbit/s connection.

Even 3 years ago in 2007 the normal speed for an internet connection was
128 Kbit/s on speed-limited tariffs (this is not the technical speed
limitation, which always was 100 Mbit/s but an artificial limitation on
unlimited-traffic tariffs, on pay-for-traffic tariffs you could have 100
Mbit/s but would pay more money for traffic). But you could download films,
programs etc from the LAN with speed of 100 Mbit/s for free. That's why
existence of LAN was a great competitive advantage for any provider those
times.

Now this is not so important because the average speed of Internet
connection (according the tariff plan) catches up with that of LAN.

The tariffs changed greatly in the last 3 years and now one can have a
50 times faster connection (of more traffic if the tariff is
traffic-based with unlimited speed) for the same money than 3 years
ago.

Here they haven't changed a lot - one significant change was in 2008,
when the Swiss government made Swisscom provide a certain minimum of
xDSL to every Swiss household that wants it. (Grundversorgungspflicht).

This is great and I would choose it is it was available here.