Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:53:15 +0200
söndagen den 12 september 2010 20.46.17 skrev Per Jessen:
I'm really surprised that it was worth rewiring entire apartment
buildings with Cat5 cable, when VoIP didn't exist. I mean, in the
mid-90s the internet had barely been invented, people were happy
dialling into Compuserve at 56K (or 64K in ISDN countries). It's
totally surreal to hear you explain about 10Mbps speeds to an internet
that barely existed (to Joe Bloggs).

I got that in my flat in Malmö, Sweden in 2000. All HSB flats were connected
using 100Mbps ethernet, plug in the wall to an ethernet card, dhcp, done,
surf. The houses were at that time connected using gigabit routers, I don't
know what it's like today, since I moved away from there some time ago (and
boy do I miss that connection :)

Today I can get 100Mbps with vdsl2, but only if I live in the right areas. I
guess that will become standard too some day. 50Mbps I can get in many
places, and t-online has been broadcasting digital TV over the net with 25Mbps
for some time now

Anders