Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:46:17 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

What is definite is that the cable which connects my building has
capacity 1 Gbit/s, optical or not. The higher-level cable is almost
certainly optic because it should have higher capacity.

Your building is almost certainly also connected with fibre, 1GigE
copper ethernet only goes so far.

This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations?

For areas with higher concentrations.

Okay, so same as here. The fibre infrastructure is expensive, needs
lots of customers for it pay off.

I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in the
infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some reason.

There are providers who advertise xDSL, for example, a telephone
company, but they are competitive only in buildings which are not
connected to the Ethernet (the number of them decreases with the
majority now have multiple Ethernet providers). Ethernet is a standard
here at least from mid-90s, the only major change for a end-user being
change of the end-user connection capacity from 10 Mbit/s to 100
Mbit/s which was mostly completed by the end of 1990s.

I'm really surprised that it was worth rewiring entire apartment
buildings with Cat5 cable, when VoIP didn't exist. I mean, in the
mid-90s the internet had barely been invented, people were happy
dialling into Compuserve at 56K (or 64K in ISDN countries). It's
totally surreal to hear you explain about 10Mbps speeds to an internet
that barely existed (to Joe Bloggs).

The tariffs changed greatly in the last 3 years and now one can have a
50 times faster connection (of more traffic if the tariff is
traffic-based with unlimited speed) for the same money than 3 years
ago.

Here they haven't changed a lot - one significant change was in 2008,
when the Swiss government made Swisscom provide a certain minimum of
xDSL to every Swiss household that wants it. (Grundversorgungspflicht).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.8°C)