Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 21:21:38 +0400
On Sunday 12 September 2010 20:55:17 Per Jessen wrote:

It is a curious setup what you describe. So the building, perhaps
the city, is a local network to you, with a gateway to internet
somewhere?

In another message, I provided a link to just such a setup in
Wellington> NZ. There, Ethernet is a utility, which you can use to
connect to an ISP of your choice.

I would say that my network is entirely controlled by one provider,
but I can insert my Ethernet cable into a hub any of at least 3
providers who have a hub in my house.

This sounds a lot like a cable-TV network, except it's not for TV. I
guess the uplink is fibre?

Completely irrelevant. It may be optic fiber or copper UTP depending on
distance to a higher-level hub. What is definite is that the cable which
connects my building has capacity 1 Gbit/s, optical or not. The higher-level
cable is almost certainly optic because it should have higher capacity.

This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations?

For areas with higher concentrations.

I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in the
infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some reason.

There are providers who advertise xDSL, for example, a telephone
company, but they are competitive only in buildings which are not connected to
the Ethernet (the number of them decreases with the majority now have
multiple Ethernet providers). Ethernet is a standard here at least from
mid-90s, the only major change for a end-user being change of the end-user
connection capacity from 10 Mbit/s to 100 Mbit/s which was mostly completed
by the end of 1990s.

And of course, the moment when his building was connected after all. I recall
how in the end of 1990s I every day opened a site of a district network to see
the map: which new buildings they connected? The network though, failed to
cross a wide street separating the connected part of the district from
non-connected. Another network was in a quarter from me in the opposite
direction.

In the end my building was connected to a third network and it seems I learned
about it much later than it actually happened :-) After a while it was bought
by a city-wide provider.

The tariffs changed greatly in the last 3 years and now one can have a 50
times faster connection (of more traffic if the tariff is traffic-based with
unlimited speed) for the same money than 3 years ago.

But if to compare with onthe cities and countries one can find that we now
have high prices: in Ukraine one can have 40 times cheaper Internet if to
count $/(Mbit/s), also by Ethernet of course.