Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:55:17 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Sunday 12 September 2010 20:34:48 James Knott wrote:

It is a curious setup what you describe. So the building, perhaps
the city, is a local network to you, with a gateway to internet
somewhere?

In another message, I provided a link to just such a setup in
Wellington> NZ. There, Ethernet is a utility, which you can use to
connect to an ISP of your choice.

I would say that my network is entirely controlled by one provider,
but I can insert my Ethernet cable into a hub any of at least 3
providers who have a hub in my house.

This sounds a lot like a cable-TV network, except it's not for TV. I
guess the uplink is fibre?

This is completely standard not only for this city but for this
country and for neighboring countries also.

Also for single-family houses or mostly in areas with higher
concentrations? I'm surprised it was worth the extra investment in the
infrastructure, but I guess xDSL wasn't suitable for some reason.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.4°C)