Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:19:30 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On Sunday 12 September 2010 11:39:43 Per Jessen wrote:

Wow, very modern - Ethernet-To-The-Home.

This is common here, nobody uses xDSL. I have Ethernet here from
2007.

I guess you (i.e. your city) was able to skip DSL altogether because
the infra-structure was late in coming?

First Ethernet-based nets appeared here in the mid-90s when people
just bought first Ethernet cards (then with throughput of 10 Mbit/s)
and connected to their neighbors to exchange files and play LAN games.

Some of such games included only 2-3 computers and some spanned
several buildings to include tens and hundreds. The people themselves
negotiated with local officials, utility services for unofficial
permissions to lay the cable, for access to collectors, attics etc.

Well yes, we've all been there, but that's not quite what is meant
by "Ethernet-To-The-Home".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.6°C)