Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: jsa <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:16:29 -0700
On 2010-09-09 03:43, James Knott wrote:

One feature that users might appreciate is mobility. For example, I
have a Nexus One smart phone. It can get it's internet access via 3G
connection to my cell phone carrier, but if it's within range of a WiFi
network that it's configured for, it will switch to that. So, if I'm
doing something, such as voice over IP, while walking up to my home,
I'll be going through my cell carrier. However, as soon as I'm within
range of my home WiFi, the phone will switch connections and kill my
VoIP call. With IPv6 mobility, that won't happen.

You mean that the device will have its own IP address regardless of where it
is connected to - which
means that several routing tables in several places have to be updated to
know where your gadget is
at the moment. Ie, large or huge routing tables.

Wait...
This is a red herring.

You can not use a Flaw in the Android OS (shutting down an interface
with an active connection
in process) as justification for anything at all OTHER than fixing Android.