Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:33:23 -0400
Non technical decision makers will need answers to at least three
questions in some form.
a) How much will it cost?
b) How much will it save?
c) What is the benefit (to our organisation)?
That is the simple bit, assuming the case is accepted and a decision is
made. (At the moment there is consensus about the worth of the
technology here, without any real attempt to address the three points
above).
In an ideal work scenario, if one is lucky enough to work in environment
that does not question the judgement of the IT team and has relatively
benign inter-departmental politics, the decision once made tends to stay
made The reality is often different

And suddenly IPv6 will be required for some 'business purpose' and you
[the IT dept] will be left looking by a bunch of dolts. Not rolling
forward with IPv6 now in a thoughtful deployment *only* leaves you the
scramble to deploy it [and overcome all the obstacles raised in this
thread] when suddenly you need it. I'll take a pass on that experience.
Just roll IPv6 support into the normal maintenance / update cycle.