Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:34:58 +0200
Ilya Chernykh wrote:

On 2010-09-09 08:56, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:
And yet, IPv6 is so easy. It's a lot easier to configure than
IPv4. ISPs may have to update some equipment, but in the mean
time,

The thing is - their customers will have to as well. Ye olde
Zyxel ADSL router doesn't do IPv6 (but it does the rest of the
internet very well). New customers would have to pay extra to get
a box that does IPv6 - it's a steep path, so as long as an ISP is
not actually running out of addresses, well ...

That's the crux. And those modems are often supplied by the ISP, so
the cost would be on them.

In Switzerland the modem is paid for by the customer, but either way
there's an extra cost.

I have no modem here. I think most people who use Internet in this
city have no modems, I just have a socket for Ethernet cable on the
wall,

Wow, very modern - Ethernet-To-The-Home. Do you get ethernet speeds as
well?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.2°C)