Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:32:24 +0400
On 2010-09-09 08:56, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:
And yet, IPv6 is so easy. It's a lot easier to configure than IPv4.
ISPs may have to update some equipment, but in the mean time,

The thing is - their customers will have to as well. Ye olde Zyxel
ADSL router doesn't do IPv6 (but it does the rest of the internet
very well). New customers would have to pay extra to get a box that
does IPv6 - it's a steep path, so as long as an ISP is not actually
running out of addresses, well ...

That's the crux. And those modems are often supplied by the ISP, so
the cost would be on them.

In Switzerland the modem is paid for by the customer, but either way
there's an extra cost.

I have no modem here. I think most people who use Internet in this city
have no modems, I just have a socket for Ethernet cable on the wall, so no
additional costs for me for transition to IPv6. It is just provider who does
not want IPv6.