Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:53:43 +0100

Brian K. White wrote:

Btw, seems that this discussion has moved to the religious debate
stage. Can we at least hold off the snark?

Perhaps it sounds that way, but Adam is correct on all technical points
and so he should absolutely not allow anyone to get the idea that the
dissenting opinions hold any water if he cares about accuracy of
documentation and the safety of others.

If the inarguability of facts looks like the unshakability of faith,
well that's just too bad for those who practice faith in things other
than facts.

Why should he or anyone else care if anyone else understands the issues
here? Because unfortunately none of us exists alone. One cannot simply
opt to do the right thing while allowing others to be stupid if they
want. I can't use .odt, .ogg, and .ogv files which would be better for
_everyone_ if we all did, because too many of the people I must interact
with don't understand and don't care why they should not use .xls, .mp3,
and h264 files because as far as they can tell it "works for them".

When too many people don't understand something and/or don't care to
even try to understand, then the broken system that popularity==validity
results in the knowledgeable minority being forced by circumstances
outside their control to live with, participate in, and even commit,
broken crap themselves even though they know better and are willing to
do better.

Thanks for that.

Used to observe to our network team that for most of the user community
X500 was a night bus from the London Termini to Heathrow airport... for
some reason that did not go down well... :-)

The show stopper is not always the validity of (or facts about) a
technology, but the occasionally valid non technical reasons for not
deploying a technology.

Non technical decision makers will need answers to at least three
questions in some form.

a) How much will it cost?
b) How much will it save?
c) What is the benefit (to our organisation)?

That is the simple bit, assuming the case is accepted and a decision is
made. (At the moment there is consensus about the worth of the
technology here, without any real attempt to address the three points
above).

In an ideal work scenario, if one is lucky enough to work in environment
that does not question the judgement of the IT team and has relatively
benign inter-departmental politics, the decision once made tends to stay
made The reality is often different, where one has to protect ones rear
from ones technical "colleagues", and deal with (often toxic)
inter-departmental politics, such decisions can get badly warped.
Dealing with Technology is easy, dealing with people is hard.

It is not surprising in this context progress is frequently slow.

At this time, I do not intend to move to IPv6 on my local network as it
will incur a cost (my time) for little perceivable benefit and AFAIK my
ISP has no plans to move to IPv6 for DSL services, (the ISP does not at
this time use non routable IPv4 addresses anyway and probably be very
happy if got the customer base large enough for address space to become
a problem). For others YMMV

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup