Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:33:51 -0400

On 2010-09-09 08:56, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

And yet, IPv6 is so easy. It's a lot easier to configure than IPv4.
ISPs may have to update some equipment, but in the mean time,

The thing is - their customers will have to as well. Ye olde Zyxel
ADSL router doesn't do IPv6 (but it does the rest of the internet
very well). New customers would have to pay extra to get a box that
does IPv6 - it's a steep path, so as long as an ISP is not actually
running out of addresses, well ...

That's the crux. And those modems are often supplied by the ISP, so
the cost would be on them.

In Switzerland the modem is paid for by the customer, but either way
there's an extra cost.

Please note:

"supplied by" and "paid for by" are not the same thing.

My cable provider supplies a modem. I pay for that.
I can pay a monthly fee or buy it from them.

There are lots of cheaper cable modems, but they refuse to support them
and threaten to discontinue service if I use them.

As it stands, they only support connections from PCs and MACs.
That I have a firewall and that I use Linux means they won't support me
when I have problems. This seems to be typical of consumer grade
support from the major providers.

Their official stance and what happens in reality are different, though.
Many of support people are network geeks or other techie variants and
use Linux at home and can be quite reasonable and break-out of the
"script".

But the modem is paid for by the customer. One way or another.