Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:06:02 +0200
On 2010-09-09 22:47, James Knott wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
James Knott said the following on 09/09/2010 12:33 PM:

Using NAT, for outgoing traffic is simple.

Which is the 90% case for home computing, and that is getting to be a
major load on the 'Net.

One of the cable companies in my part of the world has announced PVRs
that can be programmed remotely via the internet. What does said home
user do now? What if he has two or more PVRs? Other appliances are
coming which consumers may want to access from outside the home. Lot's
of people have media servers now. What about them?

Having IPV6 and the possibility of accessing computers or gadgets from outside,
is very interesting
for consumers - and providers. Anything from accessing your fridge log while
traveling on the tube,
to sharing a file with a colleague without an external sharing server. Or using
VoIp (on several
home computers or gadgets) without having to use weird things to traverse the
nat router.

There is a new, wide, range of applications once we get rid of NAT - with new
dangers that Joe User
knows not how to cope with.

We are not prepared for that.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))