Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:37:39 +0200
On 2010-09-11 14:23, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 09/11/2010 07:59 AM:

But I'm in Spain, and I have not heard of any provider here offering ipv6
for home or small
businesses. The battle here is pricing and broadband. Or cable versus ADSL.

It seems much the same here in Canada, if you add in wifi bandwidth.
The cable providers and the DSL providers have been hit with lawsuits
that have forced them to open up to allow other ISPs to use their
facilities, rather like what we had with the phone companies back in the
80s and 90s. Since those same telcos run (almost) all the cell phone
space they are fighting back with with internet-over-3G and
internet-over-AWS. My cell phone is only capable of IPv4 addresses :-(

Yes, same thing here.

There is a big telephone company (Telefonica) that once was a monopoly. It had
to open up for new,
smaller, telcos, then open again for ISPs. It is funny that you can contract
from a few different
ISP providers, when the copper pair is still going to the same exchange as has
been for fifty years.
I assume they have inside separate racks for each new company where they do the
splitting. If they
do it all... A nightmare, I have been told, by friends working there.

The situation in many countries has to be very similar, we haven't invented the
technology ;-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))