Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:20:32 +0200
On 2010-09-09 19:43, John E. Perry wrote:
On 09/08/2010 05:33 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

Golly - NAT IS NOT A SECURITY MEASURE! How many times does that have to
be said to sink in?

So what? I've never run across a router that wasn't also a pretty decent
firewall. My present Netgear Wifi router makes me invisible to the
public Internet, and that's the way I like it. Using WPA/PSK makes me
close enough to safe from wardrivers for my purposes.

Yeah, if I stored a lot of critical information on my wife's Windows
computers, and if I were important enough or rich enough to make it
worth some crook's while to attack me, I could see the need for more.

How critical is your money? >:-)

I met a chap, actually the teacher at a networking course I took. He commented
on how he, quite
easily, entered his neighbour WiFi network. From there, he gained access to the
windows machine.
From there, he captured the login and password used for that neighbour banking
account. Then he
verified that login/pass by entering himself into that banking account, had a
look, and exited.

He said that, had he really intended to move money, he would have hacked a
second wifi somewhere to
do the mischief, so that when the police or whoever started to track back who
was responsible, his
own IP would not be the one listed, but somebody else's.

Thus, even if you don't have bank accounts, if your network is breakable it can
be used to cause
mischief to others (spam sending, for instance), and you would be the prime
suspect when the police
start investigating >:-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))