Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 07:07:02 -0400
James Knott said the following on 09/10/2010 09:37 PM:
Per Jessen wrote:
I can't personally blame NAT for that - the range of RFC1918 address is
so vast that the risk of a clash is minimal - unless you choose to use
a commonly used range. My VPN runs on 10.221.78.0/22.

Choose whatever you want, you cannot guarantee someone else won't choose
it.

Indeed. And that's why they have the randomization algorithm for
choosing an address range for the local addresses in IPv6. Implicit in
that is the assumption that people _will_ do something like NAT and try
to connect from one unroutable range to another unroutable range via a
mechanism that may or may not be called NAT.

If course there's nothing forcing people to use that randomization
algorithm and even if they do, despite the expanded range, there's still
the possibility of a clash, given a large enough population and enough time.

Chose whatever you want - however you want, you cannot guarantee someone
else won't choose it.

--
The emphasis should be on "why" we do a job - W. Edwards Deming