Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:26:31 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

Now that more than sufficient addresses are available, there's
absolutely no justification for continuing to use NAT.

You're ignoring the real world. Time, money, unnecessary change
etc.
I have a "very broken", yet perfectly working NAT setup joining
my
local RFC1918 office network to my external IPv4 /27 and IPv6 /48 -
there is no justification for changing that. You know, if it ain't
broke ...

I'm not ignoring the real world. I know about the many existing
networks etc. However, that's no excuse to not move to IPv6 and
gradually get rid of the IPv4 stuff.

One excuse - lack of a business case? For my customer-side setup,
obviously I need to go IPv6, sooner rather than later. For my
back-office and local servers, there's no business case.

Sure, if you're not interested in what happens in the not to distant
future.

I'm primarily interested in the bottom line; what happens in the near
future might well affect that, but I don't see it affecting my use of
NAT on my local networks.

On simple networks, as used in homes and many business, it's a
trivial matter to get going with IPv6, even if only via a tunnel
broker, and start moving to an entirely IPv6 world.

If via a tunnel broker, I submit it's outside the reasonable
reach/need of Joe Bloggs. If not, it might be trivial, but not free.
With little no apparent benefit.

The tunnel brokers I'm aware of are free.

Like I said: via a tunnel broker, it's outside the reasonable reach/need
of Joe Bloggs; if not via a tunnel broker, it might be trivial, but not
free.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.9°C)