Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:28:15 -0400
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 21:56 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
That is mostly true; managed switches may care if you are using vLAN
features. Older switches frequently discard unknown-protocols on vLAN
ports. But we recently survey'd switches and every switch we looked at
supported IPv6 (even the 'low end' Linksys manage switches).
That sounds a bit strange. Switches, vlan or other, don't support IP of
any flavour. They support ethernet.

This isn't really true; managed switches are very aware of higher level
protocols. Often times protocols are bound to vLANs.

Any switch that doesn't pass a
valid ethernet frame is defective. No matter what IP protocol you're
running, it's supposed to just be data carried on ethernet. It sounds
like someone has their layers mixed up. Don't forget, when switches
(and bridges before them) first came out, we had a lot more protocols
than just IP floating around. Back then, there was also IPX, SNA,
NetBIOS, Appletalk and others in common use. All could be carried over
ethernet.

True - but a lot of low end switches only know a couple of protocols
[usually IPv4 & IPX]. They switch anything until vLANs are enabled, and
then other protocols get dropped.