Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:56:12 -0400
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
That is mostly true; managed switches may care if you are using vLAN
features. Older switches frequently discard unknown-protocols on vLAN
ports. But we recently survey'd switches and every switch we looked at
supported IPv6 (even the 'low end' Linksys managed switches).
That sounds a bit strange. Switches, vlan or other, don't support IP of any flavour. They support ethernet. Any switch that doesn't pass a valid ethernet frame is defective. No matter what IP protocol you're running, it's supposed to just be data carried on ethernet. It sounds like someone has their layers mixed up. Don't forget, when switches (and bridges before them) first came out, we had a lot more protocols than just IP floating around. Back then, there was also IPX, SNA, NetBIOS, Appletalk and others in common use. All could be carried over ethernet.