Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:49:37 -0400
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 08:29 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
Having a ready supply of low cost IPv6 capable high speed
switches/routers as drop-in replacements for things like the Linksys or
SMC devices, be they wired or wifi, would be a good way to introduce
IPv6 to SMBs.
Switches don't worry about IPv6 or IPv4. They handle both and any other
protocol that can be handled over ethernet. It's only routers that are
the concern

That is mostly true; managed switches may care if you are using vLAN
features. Older switches frequently discard unknown-protocols on vLAN
ports. But we recently survey'd switches and every switch we looked at
supported IPv6 (even the 'low end' Linksys managed switches).

Dismissing this need out of hand, James, is unproductive.
I have never dismissed that. What I have dismissed is the attitude that
since not everything is not yet IPv6 ready, we shouldn't be using it at all.