Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:52:03 +0200
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 08:47 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

IPv6 may be a good thing, but this slagging of NAT is not necessary.
There are and there will continue to be good reasons or people to use
NAT.

+1.

I will go so far as to predict that even with IPv6in place, there will
be something like "network 10" - private address spaces, and hence
something like NAT. Its just too convenient to have addresses that
cannot be - will not be - routed.

unique local addresses, I think that is.

Please note: I am no denigrating IPv6 or saying that one _should_ use
NAT. Nor am I saying that NAT should be forced on organizations to
further (asymptotically) delay the exhaustion of the IPv4 address
space. I *am* saying that slagging NAT is not a good argument in
favour of IPv6.

Same here.

Allthough i completely agree (nat works for a lot of people), getting
back to the original issue, some parts of internet are going to be IPv6
only. Like it or not, it is going to happen, perhaps in 10 months,
perhaps sooner or later. And that part might start very small, but it
will grow.

If you stay with v4-only and nat, other people will still be able to
contact you (as much as you let them), but not vice-versa.

So people should be preperred. And rather sooner than later, not?

hw