Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:55:21 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Now that more than sufficient addresses are available, there's
absolutely no justification for continuing to use NAT.

You're ignoring the real world. Time, money, unnecessary change etc.
I have a "very broken", yet perfectly working NAT setup joining my
local RFC1918 office network to my external IPv4 /27 and IPv6 /48 -
there is no justification for changing that. You know, if it ain't
broke ...

I'm not ignoring the real world. I know about the many existing
networks etc. However, that's no excuse to not move to IPv6 and
gradually get rid of the IPv4 stuff.

One excuse - lack of a business case? For my customer-side setup,
obviously I need to go IPv6, sooner rather than later. For my
back-office and local servers, there's no business case.

On simple networks, as used in homes and many business, it's a trivial
matter to get going with IPv6, even if only via a tunnel broker, and
start moving to an entirely IPv6 world.

If via a tunnel broker, I submit it's outside the reasonable reach/need
of Joe Bloggs. If not, it might be trivial, but not free. With little
no apparent benefit.

Consumer level IPv6 firewalls are available now and also include
support for 6in4 tunnels. You get one of those and you've got IPv6,
just as easily as you've currently got IPv4.

A Zyxel (a favourite consumer level manufacturer in Switzerland) P662HW
is about CHF500. A plain IPv4-only device is less than CHF150. I
recently purchased a new LANCOM dsl router - pricey stuff, and not even
IPv6 capable. (I tried getting bridged IPv6 to work with pppd, but
openSUSE wasn't quite up to it).

My own firewall on my home network is a Linux box that I've been using
for years. All I had to do to enable IPv6 to the internet was install
the tunnel client. Even before that, I had IPv6 over my local
network, without having to do anything.

What specific advantages did you gain (other than the joy of it just
working?)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.7°C)