Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:37:37 -0400
Per Jessen said the following on 09/10/2010 01:08 PM:

Now, to play along with your analogy from above, how about we take a
look at how difficult it is and has been to sell the idea of energy
conservation to people around the world and compare that to how
difficult it would be to sell them a new router at CHF500 because it
does IPv6 and that eliminates the need for NAT (which is really
broken).

Quite.
Economic incentive is an amazing thing :-)

If back in the the 70s when we had that first oil/energy crisis, the
price a the pump had risen - I was living in the UK at that time - from
#0.50 to #5.00 overnight we would have seen a real change.

Instead we boiled the frog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

The gradual canges resulted in better engines, better fuel control,
lighter cars, and regressed when costswent down. In "real" terms,
compared to housing, education, entertainment (CDs vs vinyl; moveie and
theater tickets) and many other things, the price of gas at the pump
isn't that bad.

And so for much of the world that uses NAT, the address shortage has not
been apparent. My 3MBps cable link today costs about 1/20th what my
56K leased line did in 1990. That's what most people see.

Now when people are told that they can't join the 'Net because there are
no more addresses - ZILCH! - and vendors can't expand their customer
base to those people unable to join the 'Net, then we will see a revolution.

Economics.

And realistically, this is much more likely to happen in the developing
world, China in particular, than in the USA and western Europe.

Here in North America we are already in a technological backwater in
other areas of consumer electronics such as cell phones.

--
In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain