Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:12:52 -0400
John Andersen wrote:
Do switches even care about IPV6?
No. They don't even care about IP at all. They can handle any traffic that can be stuffed into an ethernet frame. As you mention, switching is based on MAC addresses.

My router has exactly two ports.

Mine has three. It's a Linux box and when I first set it up, I was using WEP encryption on WiFi. Since WEP is so easy to break, I put it on it's own subnet and required OpenVPN or ssh to get through the firewall. Now that I'm using WPA2, I don't use that 3rd interface any more.