Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:33:18 -0400
On 2010/09/10 07:59 (GMT-0400) James Knott composed:

I haven't seen any 8 port IPv6 routers, but then again I haven't looked
either. Consumer level 8 port routers tend to be scarce. However,
unless you've got an extremely fast internet connection, you don't need
a gigabit router. It might be easier to just put a gigabit switch ahead
of the router.

I thought of that, but:

1-I've read reports more than once that the router model I've been using is a
poor performer
2-adding an 8-port switch means yet another fs$@#*$^%ing power brick
3-adding an 8-port switch means yet more power consumption (eco unfriendly)
4-adding an 8-port switch means yet more heat generation (eco unfriendly)
5-space considerations dictate stacking the router and switch, increasing the
operating temperature of the devices, likely causing shortened life expectancy.

So, replacing the router makes good sense, particularly if one wants to add
wireless capability.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/