Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:20:20 -0400
James Knott said the following on 09/10/2010 07:59 AM:

Felix Miata wrote:
I don't see how a switch to IPV6 could happen in the short term. It's really
hard to find any reference to IPV6 in product searches. When I try combining
IPV6 with either 8-port or gigabit I come up empty virtually every time. I
did find a very few products, but at affordable pricing with only 4 wired LAN
ports, and nothing with more than 4 at any price resembling affordable.

I haven't seen any 8 port IPv6 routers, but then again I haven't looked
either. Consumer level 8 port routers tend to be scarce. However,
unless you've got an extremely fast internet connection, you don't need
a gigabit router. It might be easier to just put a gigabit switch ahead
of the router. Even on commercial installations, when using gigabit
switches, I've always used a separate router. I did one job, about 1.5
years ago, with a total of 120 gigiabit ports, but the router was only
capable of 100 Mb and connected to a cable modem that was only capable
of 10 Mb.

Yes, that's the point of a gigabit 8-port device and that's the point of
NAT as made clear in the RFCs I've referred to, Its about INTERNAL
communication. People want fast access to their file servers that are
just a few meters away. Its a psychological thing: they can understand
a delay to the outside world and a server in a different
{city,state,nation,content} that is being used by thousands of other
people, but why should that delay apply to something local and is
restricted in access and only available to their workgroup?

As the RFCs said:

<quote>
Many applications require connectivity only within one enterprise and
do not even need external connectivity for the majority of internal
hosts. In larger enterprises it is often easy to identify a
substantial number of hosts using TCP/IP that do not need network
layer connectivity outside the enterprise.
</quote>

I have 100M Ethernet cards in my laptop even though I only have a 10M
link to the outside world. I expect to be able to access my locally
connected devices at 100M so I have a 100M switch. It happens to be a
SMC device that is also a NAT'ing router with many 'firewall' functions.
(I also have a proper firewall, but that's not what this is about.)

It takes no stretch of my imagination to understand the utility value of
a SMB needing a high speed switch within the workgroup. After all, most
traffic in a SMB is going to be local.

Having a ready supply of low cost IPv6 capable high speed
switches/routers as drop-in replacements for things like the Linksys or
SMC devices, be they wired or wifi, would be a good way to introduce
IPv6 to SMBs.

Dismissing this need out of hand, James, is unproductive.