Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:15:22 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
Its just too convenient to have addresses that
> cannot be - will not be - routed.
unique local addresses, I think that is.

Many people seem to think those RFC1918 address can't be routed. They can, just as well as any other address. However, they're supposed to be blocked from reaching the public internet. In fact, my own ISP uses 10.x.y.z addresses to route within it's own network (you can see them with traceroute). However, where it meets the internet or the customer, it uses "real" addresses.

With IPv6, there are non-routable addresses called "link local", which every device gets. Routers are supposed to be configured to always block them. There are also the unique local addresses, which may be routed within a private network, but are also supposed to be blocked from the internet.