Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:59:13 -0400
Felix Miata wrote:
I don't see how a switch to IPV6 could happen in the short term. It's really
hard to find any reference to IPV6 in product searches. When I try combining
IPV6 with either 8-port or gigabit I come up empty virtually every time. I
did find a very few products, but at affordable pricing with only 4 wired LAN
ports, and nothing with more than 4 at any price resembling affordable.
--
I haven't seen any 8 port IPv6 routers, but then again I haven't looked either. Consumer level 8 port routers tend to be scarce. However, unless you've got an extremely fast internet connection, you don't need a gigabit router. It might be easier to just put a gigabit switch ahead of the router. Even on commercial installations, when using gigabit switches, I've always used a separate router. I did one job, about 1.5 years ago, with a total of 120 gigiabit ports, but the router was only capable of 100 Mb and connected to a cable modem that was only capable of 10 Mb.