Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:31:41 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Anton Aylward wrote:
Anders Johansson said the following on 09/09/2010 02:22 PM:

As I said to James, I don't really believe you think this, I suspect
your hatred for NAT has gotten the better of your choice of
arguments

+1

Or perhaps our understanding of the implications of NAT cause us to
oppose it.

NAT is a hack that's used to get around the shortage of IP addresses
and in the process violates IP specs that addresses shouldn't be
tampered with and it also breaks some things.

Now that more than sufficient addresses are available, there's
absolutely no justification for continuing to use NAT.

You're ignoring the real world. Time, money, unnecessary change etc. I
have a "very broken", yet perfectly working NAT setup joining my local
RFC1918 office network to my external IPv4 /27 and IPv6 /48 - there is
no justification for changing that. You know, if it ain't broke ...

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.9°C)