Re: [opensuse] Shopping for IPv6 (was: Moving to IPv6)
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:23:28 -0400
On 2010/09/09 22:29 (GMT-0400) James Knott composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

Today I discovered what gigabit can do for me, so I want to buy a new 8-port
wired "internet" firewall/router. Will I need to read the fine print to
discover its IPV6 capability, or would I be safe to assume any major brand
current model would competently support IPV6 now and for the foreseeable
future?

Some of the newer models from D-Link and others support it. You'll have
to read the specs.

I don't see how a switch to IPV6 could happen in the short term. It's really
hard to find any reference to IPV6 in product searches. When I try combining
IPV6 with either 8-port or gigabit I come up empty virtually every time. I
did find a very few products, but at affordable pricing with only 4 wired LAN
ports, and nothing with more than 4 at any price resembling affordable.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/