Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:05:12 -0400
On 09/09/2010 11:53 PM, James Knott wrote:
John E. Perry wrote:
It will be much easier for_you_. It will have little effect on me;
Netgear took care of the complexities for me in_much_ better fashion
than I could have myself. I fully expect Netgear will take care of even
the reduced complexity for me when they sell me my next one. IPv6 makes
things much easier for you and Netgear; it will have little direct
effect on me.

Please explain the difference to you in how Netgear would provide a NAT
router vs one that's configured to block incoming traffic to a range of
addresses. I'd expect most people couldn't tell the difference.

I won't be able to tell the difference myself for a while. Netgear sold
me a v4 system that I could configure without knowing all the nasty
little details of network management. I had to learn just enough to
understand what the various options meant, and I had a working home
network. I've since learned a lot more, but that's because I'm
interested.

When Netgear updates my router to v6, or, if they can't, I have to buy
an IPv6-capable router, I fully expect Netgear to provide me the user
manual that tells me exactly how to configure my home lan.

Who knows -- they may even make it look the same to me. It could hardly
be much easier than configuring my present router.

jp