Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 16:25:31 -0700
On 9/9/2010 2:01 PM, James Knott wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
On 9/9/2010 1:11 PM, James Knott wrote:

You don't have to you'll still have a router to connect to your ISP.

Wait, why would I need a router?

Seems to me all I would need was a firewall.

People have been vociferously pointing out in this thread that a router is
not a
firewall. Was that you?

A router has always been necessary to move between IP (or IPX) networks. NAT
came later. When you use the default (or other) route, you
have to pass through a router. In the very early days, a computer was used
as the router, just like we often use an old computer running
Linux for one. Firewalls are often part of a router, but don't have to be.
You can also have a bridging firewall that isolates two
networks, on the same subnet, so that traffic between them is filtered or
between the router and local network. It sounds to me like you
should be doing some reading up on routers and firewalls. That might
eliminate some of the confusion you're experiencing.

See! There you go with that snark again.

With a globally unique address why do I need a router on the end of my cable
modem?