Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:51:06 -0700
On 9/9/2010 1:47 PM, James Knott wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
James Knott said the following on 09/09/2010 12:33 PM:

Using NAT, for outgoing traffic is simple.

Which is the 90% case for home computing, and that is getting to be a
major load on the 'Net.

One of the cable companies in my part of the world has announced PVRs that
can be programmed remotely via the internet. What does said home
user do now? What if he has two or more PVRs? Other appliances are coming
which consumers may want to access from outside the home. Lot's
of people have media servers now. What about them?

Most of these are not being addressed directly via your internet connection.
Requiring that would eliminate this feature for customers that only buy TV from
the cable company.

You point your web browser to a box attached to the head end controller, which
in turn sends commands to your
PVR. There is no public network (and quite possibly no TCP/IP) involved.