Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:29:34 -0400
John E. Perry said the following on 09/09/2010 01:43 PM:
On 09/08/2010 05:33 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

[....]

Breaking some protocols, true, ftp is something that was broken from the
start
and the fact that it does not work well with nat is hardly the end of the
world.

...of no concern at all to me personally, since I neither need nor want
outside access to my home network. I carry all my information with me
when I travel, and have no need for external access.

+1

NAT is just a pain, and a pointless one.

For you, maybe, as a professional systems administrator. For me, as a
simple-minded home user, it's a blessing.

+1 for every Joe Sixpack at home in a similar situation

And only the (restricted
address?) feature saves me from major problems when I have to go to IPv6.

Yes, but will Joe Sixpack understand that?

I'm now pretty much neutral as to when v6 happens for me. But this
silliness of IPv4 NAT being a Bad Thing for everyone irritates me.

+5

My
router with dhcp makes NAT and firewalling Just Work for me and mine.

+1 for every Joe Sixpack out there.

--
Between the iron gates of fate, The seeds of time were sown,
And watered by the deeds of those Who know and who are known;