Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:10:55 +0200
On Thursday 09 September 2010, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
So everything that doesn't specifically apply to your use-case is
"contrived"?

Do you enjoy double-SSH-ing? Why bother? Wouldn't it be nice not to
have to futz with port-forwards?

A company who thinks "yes, with IPv6 we can just open everything up so no one
will have to bother with silly things like authentication anymore!" is
probably the same company that lets everyone run as administrator in windows.

Yes, IPv6 is the future, but this just isn't the argument for it.

You are aware, I hope, that many companies today run VPNs to their internal
LANs even though every single machine has a real IPv4 address. The external
connection is heavily locked down, and you only get in to your destination
machine after seriously authenticating yourself. IPv6 will reduce the number
of steps needed here by exactly zero!

Yes NAT is bad, yes IPv6 is good, but please update your arguments. No one
will ever implement it on the basis of "no security for anyone"

Anders