Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 12:06:24 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
And yet, IPv6 is so easy. It's a lot easier to configure than IPv4.
> ISPs may have to update some equipment, but in the mean time,
The thing is - their customers will have to as well. Ye olde Zyxel ADSL
router doesn't do IPv6 (but it does the rest of the internet very
well). New customers would have to pay extra to get a box that does
IPv6 - it's a steep path, so as long as an ISP is not actually running
out of addresses, well ...

While I can't speak about individual modems, PPPoE does support IPv6 (and a lot more). I'm in a similar position with my cable modem. It runs DOCSIS 2, which requires an update to run IPv6 (the current DOCSIS 2 specs have been updated to include IPv6). DOCSIS 3 already supports it. So, if my ISP provides IPv6 and the modem can't be updated, then I'd have to buy a new modem or use a tunnel to my ISP.

One thing I see in this thread, is people saying that since IPv6 isn't yet supported by everything, we shouldn't use it at all. If everyone did that, then we'll never be able to use it. IPv6 is available and usable now. The more it gets used, the more the laggards will have to provide support or be left behind.