Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:36:46 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 14:57 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Try setting up for voice over IP or certain gaming to more than
one computer.
No problem - I have a number of Linksys/Cisco SPA phones hooked up
from peoples home offices to our central telephone server. The
phone
is usually sat behind a NAT'ing router. This has been working
very
well for at least two years now. Of course, I run a stun daemon.
Emphasis: "Of course, I run a stun daemon."
Therefore: problem eliminated.
Try using ssh to multiple computers, without changing
port numbers.
I do that every day from my workstation. (which is behind a NAT
setup).
The issue is the reverse.
Yeah, I thought that mnight be it - well, to me, it also seems a
little
contrived. When I need external ssh access to something on my NAT'ed
network, I ssh to the NAT'ing gateway, and from there to whatever I
need.

The basis of your argument is that NAT is *simple*.

I *do* think NAT is simple, but that's not the basis of my argument.
I'm merely arguing against the suggestion that "NAT is broken in a
number of ways" when the problems mentioned turn out to be either
contrived or non-problems.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.2°C)